Sunday, March 17, 2013

A wonderful surprise and Diabetic chocolate chip cookie recipe



Since next month is my Dad's birthday and our first Easter without him, I told Barry I would love to fix a big supper at our house for us, my Mom, and Brother.

Barry, my husband, is a wonderful husband. He tries his best to lift me up and encourage me. That's why a surprise gift as this one should come at no surprise :) This week I got a knock at the door and it was the UPS man. I'm always happy to see him, but I hadn't recently ordered anything that would warrant a visit from him. I looked at the box and it was in my name and very heavy. The girls and I were excited as we opened it! Here is what was inside......


This is my dream mixer!!! A Kitchenade! I have been wanting and asking one for years. I called Barry in a panic was telling him all about my big surprise that landed on our doorstep. I heard snickering on the other end of the line and he told me it was my Easter gift. He told me he knew I wanted to make a big supper for our family and he wanted to lift me up during the "firsts" that we are going through. This is why I love him so very very much!  He told me he thought this would help and make things easier on all the cooking I planned to do.

I wonder sometimes how the Lord blessed me with such a wonderful husband and best friend.

So my first recipe was Chocolate chip cookies. I tried to make this diabetic friendly and a bit healthier than the average cookie. Here's the recipe:

3/4 Cup of Splenda (This is the actual measurement of Splenda. Not back of the bag equal to measurement)
3/4 Cup of Splenda brown sugar (This is the actual measurement of Splenda. Not back of the bag equal to measurement)


1 Cup of butter 1 tsp Vanilla
1 Egg
2 Cups of whole wheat flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Package of sugar free Hershey chocolate chips

First, preheat your oven to 375. Then cream together the Splendas, butter, Vanilla, and eggs. In another bowl mix your dry ingredients of flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add those as you continue to mix. Once batter is thick...add the chocolate chips in. Cook for 10 and let cool. 10 minutes is the perfect setting for chewy cookies. I have had 4 people try them and no one could tell they were low sugar.

From my figuring this comes out to about 9 grams of carbs per cookie and .3 grams of sugar..yep not even a gram!!! Here's the final product............



My last picture is of St. Patrick's day fun. I decided to make breakfast in bed for Barry and the Chickaroo Sisters. Think this would be perfect for those Cat in the hat days...just sub the sauage with ham.

No comments: