Monday, February 18, 2013

Stuffed Apple Recipe

In May I was diagnosed as Type II diabetic. At 173 pds I really needed to make a change and lose weight. At the time I was told that I could control mine with diet and exercise. So I started making changes in my diet. I went on a very very very low carb diet, virtually no sugar, cut out all sodas, swapped to whole grains (as they break down slower and do not spike your glucose levels), added extra protein, and just added more veggies/some fruits to my diet. The result is...today I am no longer diabetic (though I am considered prediabetic) and I am now 129 pds!

BEFORE


MIDWAY THROUGH DIET



AFTER




So I would really love to bring more low carb/sugar recipes to the blog. I promise all will be tried by me and approved yummy...by me! So here's my first recipe :)










LOW SUGAR STUFFED APPLES

Remember apples are great for diabetics...in moderation. They are a great source of fiber and fiber is great for glucose levels (as it breaks down slowly Vs. spiking or a drop in levels. I find that when I eat something that spikes my levels...a drop will usually happen after a certain length of time and it's very fast. It causes me to have dizzyness and shakiness. So fiber is great helping balance this out). I came up with this one after reading a cookbook and really wanting apple pie. I then thought of the stuffed apple recipes I have read about, but never tried. I figured the Oatmeal must have a little "crust" type texture and taste. In the end my whole family loved this recipe and it really does taste like an apple pie!!!!

4 Apples cored and hollowed
2 Packets of plain instant oatmeal
1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon (or to your liking)
1/4 cup of Splenda
3 Tablespoons of butter
Dash of salt

Mix oatmeal, cinnamon, splenda, and salt in bowl. Once combined add 2 Tablespoons of butter and mix with hands. You then want to stuff your apples with this mixture and place, in pats, the remaining Tablespoon of butter. Place apples in a round cake pan and fill with about a half inch of water. Place in the oven on 350 for about 30 to 35 minutes.


This just gives you that apple pie taste, but without all the headache of having a high glucose reading. As I said...moderation is key...so this is a once in a while treat.

3 comments:

Gwen said...

you look amazing! Good work!

Gwen said...

you look amazing! Good work!

homeinawoods said...

Looks really yummy. Congratulations on your weight loss!