Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cream Cheese Poundcake Recipe



First off…go to your recipe box and just throw away all your other pound cake recipes. That’s my first instruction to this recipe




I have tried for years to find a great recipe and make a great pound cake. I always end up in failure and my cake is entirely too dry. Earlier this week I was reading Cook’s country magazine on my Kindle (you can get a free 14 day subscription) and ran across this recipe for a Cream cheese pound cake.



Looking at it I thought it looked a little difficult, for my baking experience, and the ingrediants looked a little pricely. It turns out it was not hard at all, I would suggest this recipe to a beginner baker, and when you break the ingrediant list down to cost…it’s really not all that expensive. You have most of the essenials in your pantry already and the cost to add to those the other ingrediants..you have just broke it down to the cost of a really nice pound cake at a local bakery. Only you get fun of making it, enjoying time with your kiddos, and all the compliments, of course It also just seems like if you make it yourself…you have less calories. I’m sure this isn’t true, but I’m just going to go with that.



Here’s what you will need:



3 Cups of cake flour (I used Swan from Winn Dixie)

1 Teaspoon of salt

4 large eggs, plus 2 large yolks at room temp. (I actually did not use mine at room temp.)

1/4 Cup Milk

2 teaspoons of Vanilla extract (The Winn Dixie brand is BOGO this week!!)

3 Cups of sugar (Used Dixie brand. They were on sale at Winn Dixie for 1.99 for a 5lb bag)

3 sticks of unsalted butter (Used Winn Dixie brand)

6 oz of Cream cheese (I used the Winn Dixie brand. It also needs to be soft and I just left it at room temp. for an hour.)



First, pre heat your oven to 300 and start to work on creaming.



In a big bowl cream together sugar, butter, and cream cheese. In another bowl beat together (I use a hand mixer) eggs, egg yolks, milk, and vanilla. Then add this mixture to your creamed mixture a little at a time.



In another bowl (I know this is a lot of bowls…lol..well worth it) mix flour and salt together. Once you have that mixed together add it, in three parts, to your creamed mixture. Once all is well incorporated…you are ready to pour into your well greased bundt cake pan (I greased it with unsalted butter and the cake four.) Once poured in your pan…tap on counter several times to get the air bubbles out.



You bake it in the middle rack for exactly 90 minutes. Do not bake no more or less. I know it will look a little gooey on top, but trust me…it is done. I made the mistake of letting mine cook a little longer, due to this, and it was just a little more brown on the bottom than I prefer.



This is the best pound cake I have ever tasted in my life! I’m not just saying that because I made it, either. Barry and my girls gave it a 10. They have NEVER given any of my pound cakes a 10! I hope you guys enjoy!





No comments: