Saturday, July 30, 2011

thredUP Review.



My review today is on thredUP. Recently I was able to purchase a BOGO boxes at thredUP and I bought the BOGO deal for 16.00. I thought this would be great, since Emma-Kay will be turning 2 on August 19th. I could browse the site and get some really great gently used items.

I, literally, spent about 2 hours browsing the site for a box :) There were so many great ones and I was having a lot a trouble narrowing them down to 2 picks. So I finally found a 2T girls lot that I really liked. There was a mixture of Old Navy, Circo, and other name brand clothes. The box said it was a 25 piece girls clothes lot and mostly tops. I received the box yesterday and this is what I received:
  • (4) Pairs of shirts. One of those pairs of shorts had the tag still on them.
  • (1) Pair of Pjs.
  • (1) Skirt
  • (1) Pair of jeans.
  • (3) Dresses.
  • (15) Shirts and one still had the tags attached.
All the clothing is in excellent condition and with no stains.

I want to add that at a thrift store (the ones here locally) a shirt goes for 1.50, short are a 1.50, pants are a 1.50, and dresses usually go for 2.50. I purchased this box from thredUP for 15.95. If I would have went to my local thrift stores and purchased all of these items I would have paid $40.50...so that is a savings of $24.55!!!

Next I had a free box to pick out (b/c I caught a BOGO deal online.) I decided on a 20 piece My little pony lot and the sender sent a free doggie purse with the order!!! These go for at least a 1.00 here at the local thrift stores (that's what I have paid for them in the past) and the purse would probably go for 3.00. This box was free, but let's just say I paid 15.95 for it. I would be at a savings of $7.05!!!

Keep in mind that boxes can contain anything! The clothing boxes come in any sizes up to a size 20. They also have boxes of toys, books, DVDs, CDs, and I even looked at a box with pampered chef items!You can basically pack anything, that is in great condition, in your home. They have children's boxes, boxes for Mom, boxes for Dads,  and even boxes for your furbabies. It's just a great set up they have on the site.

They will also send you pre-rated boxes out for you to pack up things of your own. When someone picks your box, you will get credit towards another box for yourself. Also, shipping is included in with the price of the boxes...so you never pay for shipping your own items. You simply pack, print out the labels online, and they will notify the mailman that you will have a pick up. It's just that easy! You never have to leave your home.

They also encourage you to post your own boxes...to make things fair. You post boxes to get to pick boxes. I was able to buy 2 separate boxes on my first go around, but that means I am at a -2 on my swap balance. So I need to post 2 boxes and have those picked before I can make more picks of my own. Barry accidentally threw out my boxes and I had to re-order mine, but I am very excited to get to pack and post one for others :) Also, when you receive a box you have to give feedback of the sender. That way they can keep track of those that doing their part of keeping great items being sent to members and the same being given back to them.

Overall, I give thredUP a 9 out of 10. The reason why I would give it a full 10 is b/c of the price. I do feel the box could be a little lower on price, but on some items...say clothes...you really can't beat it. It's like shopping at thrift stores or yard sales online. I find it to be a great asset with 2 kiddos and with the gas prices being so high. Not to mention the fun of just waiting for the box and the then the senders throwing in "surprises" it's just awesome!

If you would like to take advantage of this great site...just click on any of the thredUP links in this post and it will take you directly to the site. When you sign up you will also receive a 5.00 credit :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the site has totally changed to a consignment type model : (

Kim Weyeneth Greacen said...

THREDUP is the worst Company to deal with. BEWARE!!!! Do not send them your clothing. I sent them a bag of between 25 & 30 items & after dozens of emails going back & forth & then they finally admitted they lost the bag, they issued me a $25. credit to buy clothes from their web site. I spent hours of my time trying to get to the bottom of where my bag went. They did receive it at their location & then gave me the run around, email after e-mail. 
When you call their phone number you will NEVER get someone to answer. 
This was the biggest waste of time & the sad part is I sent them top quality clothing that could have gone to someone who needed it. 
My best advice is to steer clear of this company & give your clothes to good will. 
Thredup did receive my clothing, then sold them & profited from it then issued me $25. for all the hassle they caused me over the last 5 months trying to get answers from them.
BEWARE!!!!!

Kim Weyeneth Greacen said...

THREDUP is the worst Company to deal with. BEWARE!!!! Do not send them your clothing. I sent them a bag of between 25 & 30 items & after dozens of emails going back & forth & then they finally admitted they lost the bag, they issued me a $25. credit to buy clothes from their web site. I spent hours of my time trying to get to the bottom of where my bag went. They did receive it at their location & then gave me the run around, email after e-mail. 
When you call their phone number you will NEVER get someone to answer. 
This was the biggest waste of time & the sad part is I sent them top quality clothing that could have gone to someone who needed it. 
My best advice is to steer clear of this company & give your clothes to good will. 
Thredup did receive my clothing, then sold them & profited from it then issued me $25. for all the hassle they caused me over the last 5 months trying to get answers from them.
BEWARE!!!!!