Sunday, January 11, 2009

Just some credit information to start the year off!

Thought this would be interesting since it is the first beginning of the year. I am not sure if many of you know...but, you can get your annual credit report for free every year from all three bureaus. This is a great tool to use for identity theft or for maybe something that you over looked. We get ours done every year as a precaution. It also saves you from having to pay for it. I am very cautious about things like this and this topic has interested me. Believe it or not before being a stay at home Wife and later Mama....I did credit checks and made decisions on what deposits needed to be put down on a service and was in collections for a couple of years. So I had to sit through my fair share of Equifax, Transunion, and Experian meetings. I was amazed when I first started working in that area about how little I knew about my credit, credit scores, and how credit is viewed by companies. I praise the Lord my calling was to be a stay at home Wife and Mama as that job was pretty stressful. I heard my share of horror stories at this job as well. You would be surprised at how many people never knew someone used their credit until they went to purchase a house or automobile. I worked on an account where a couple was denied a home b/c someone in their family used their credit. It took about a month...but, we were able to resolve it and I was so happy for them. There were also ones that could not be resolved and it really opens your eyes that no one is immune to it. In this day and age credit is precious. Regardless of how you live your life, debt free or otherwise, you still need credit. Here you have to have good credit to rent a home or apartment. We have lived in two apartments before buying our home and both required credit checks. Both electric and phone companies here run credit checks and that is how your deposit is based. It can take one person ruining your credit with a utility account gone unpaid and you are looking at a deposit for anything to do with your utilities....even if it's not the company you applying with. So I hope this helps you guys out.

  • If you want to receive your free credit report you can go here https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp. It's FREE and remember to have everything ready on your printer if you wish to print. Once started there is no going back and you are only allowed a free credit report once a year. You can pay to get it any other time. But, it is only free once a year at the above link. I have been using this link for years and never had an issue with anything.
  • Now if you want to get rid of telemarketing calls you can put your number on the no call registry list. We did this last year and have not received any calls. Here is the link www.donotcall.gov or you can call 1-888-382-1222. We did ours over the phone.
  • This is something I did not know you could do. You can opt in or out of those credit card offers you get in the mail. I actually found this info because capital one ran Barry's credit 20 times in the last year. I was very worried about it and decided to look up the address that was doing the inquiring. Apparently, they are called soft inquiries and are legal. They do not harm your credit in any way. The only person that can see them is you when you run your credit report(so I am assuming they can not gain full access to your credit as it is technically not a really credit check.) I am not sure if you are aware, but, when you run your credit it does harm your beacon score. That's why I was confused on it. So we will be doing this one this week. So if you want to opt out you can go here www.optoutprescreen.com or call (888) 5-OPT-OUT / (888) 567-8688 . If you go to the website they give you a option of also mailing it in.
  • Here's something else that is interesting: You can get a free copy of your Medical Information Bureau report once a year. Phone: (866) 692-6901 or www.mib.com/html/request_your_record.html
  • You can get a copy of your CLUE report once a year as well by: Phone: (866) 312-8076 Web: www.choicetrust.com (click on CLUE Reports). These are damage claims on property...IE House and etc.
  • Here's another pretty cool tidbit. You can opt out of sharing online cookie data with online advertisers. Here is the link www.networkadvertising.org.

No comments: